Synopsys: Josh realizes he has feelings for Donna
Disclaimer: I don't own the characters.Unfortunately.They are property of Aaron Sorkin and Warner Bros co.It's not my intention to make money with them.I'm not as talent as Aaron to create such wonderful characters, so I have to borrow them.
Thanks: To everyone who is reading.And a very special thanks to Rachel Hanson.She helped me a lot correcting my spelling mistakes and gave me so much support.
Lyrics are from the song 'Smoke gets in your eyes', composed by O.Hammerstein/J.Kem
Notes: If anyone wants to archive it, that's okay.Feedbacks are welcome.Let me know your opinion.Tell me if I've done anything wrong.It's really important to try to improve it in the future.As a non-native speaker, forgive me for my limited knowledge of English language.I tried to do my best.I hope you enjoy it!
"They asked me how I knew my true love was true,
Josh knocks on the door. Sam asks him to come in.
Josh: - Hi. Do you have a minute?
Sam: - Sure. Any problem with the Bill assignment?
Josh: - No. It's nothing related to work. But I can come back another time if you're busy.
Sam: - No. Tell me what's on your mind.
Josh: - It's not a big deal. (Josh starts without looking at Sam) Last Friday, Donna asked me if she could leave early. I said there was no problem, but I asked why.if only I had asked before...Anyway, she said she had a date with a guy named Rick. That night I saw when the guy came to pick her up. (He gets up from the chair and starts to walk through the room) I didn't like his face. He looked like those jerks who plans to seduce women into a one night stand and never call after that. During the weekend, it was hard to resist the urge to call her and ask about Friday night, but I waited until this morning. Now, she is angry with me because she said I smiled when she told she would not go out with him anymore. (He sits down again) I didn't smile, Sam. I...I was just relieved because something inside told me he was not "the one" for her.
Sam looks at him serious.
- Well...I don't know if this is the best time to tell you this, Josh, but I have a theory. I've been thinking about this issue for a while and I have formulated a theory.
- Theory? About what?
Sam say it very slowly, afraid of Josh's reaction.
- It's about you and your feelings for Donna...beyond friendship.
- ( Josh looks surprised with Sam's comment ) What? Are you insane? I don't have feelings for Donna. ( Josh starts to stammer ) This...This... theory is completely... wrong. ( Josh gets up from the chair again ) Okay, I think she is a great woman, very professional, a good friend, and she is witty and even beautiful. I respect her and I have a lot of trust in her. But I definitely don't have any feelings for her beyond that.
- Okay. If you say so...
- I'm not just saying it. I mean it. ( He starts to stammer again ) I ...don't...don't...have... feelings for her. I'm her boss and she is my assistant. We have a professional relationship and nothing more. I care for her as I would care for any other friend. It's an absurd theory.... I shouldn't have come here.... I have work to do.
Josh leaves Sam's office.
Josh: - Can I come in?
CJ: - You're already in, in case you haven't noticed.
- Are you busy?
- No. What do you want?
- It's nothing serious. I just wanted to talk with someone about an issue that's been bothering me all day.
- What issue?
- Sam has a theory about me. I assured him he was wrong and called him insane. But since then I've been pondering it and right now I'm really confused, because...
At this moment, the phone rings. CJ answers and hangs up a few seconds later.
- So, What's this theory about?
- ( Josh takes a deep breath before answering ) Sam believes I have feelings for Donna. Beyond friendship...and I'm really afraid he may be... right. ( He turns down his head, avoiding looking at CJ's eyes )
CJ burst out laughing. Josh looks at her, bewildered, trying to understand what she is laughing about.
- I know it's weird and unexpected. I'm surprised too. But it's definitely not funny, CJ.
- Sorry, Josh. ( She says, still laughing ). I just thought it would take you a few more years to realize that, and even more time to admit to it.
- Realize and admit what? What are you talking about?
- Realize and admit you have feelings for Donna. I mean, everyone could see that except you and Donna. I can't believe you've finally figured it out. (She grabs his hands to shake it, with a smile on her face. He pulls his hand away from hers)
- Are you telling me that everybody thinks I have those...special feelings for her? It's creepy.
- No, Josh. No one thinks ( she emphasizes ' thinks' ) you're in love with Donna. Everybody is pretty sure about that.
- ( Josh gets up from his chair looking even more confused and starts to pace in the room ) Oh, boy...I didn't know my love life was that interesting to everyone spend time talking about it. And on my back! Okay, I have to admit I spend most of the time denying it to myself. But when I see her...when she smiles...I don't know...I lose the control over my feelings...it's like nothing else matters...( He sit down again ) CJ, what should I do?
- Josh, I can't tell you what you to do. It's up to you. Why are you asking me for advice? You keep saying I push every man away from me. Why don't you ask Sam?
- CJ, I don't want to ruin my relationship with her. She is very important to me and I don't want lose what we have now. ( Josh sounds a bit desperate )
- You will ruin everything if you keep it quiet. Sooner or later you will have to tell her about your feelings toward her.
- But I can't tell her everything right now. It would scare her to death and things would become very uncomfortable between us.
- Okay, you're right...Well, ask her out and make her fall in love with you.
- It's not that simple.
- Yeah, but you can pull it off. Sorry, Josh, but I have a press conference in ten minutes and right now I don't have time to teach you how to get a girl.
- Okay...Sorry for bothering you. You don't need to snap at me.
When he is almost closing the door, she says:
- You know her well and you like her a lot. You'll do fine.
- Thanks, CJ.
From his desk, Josh sees Donna preparing to leave. He calls her on the phone, speaking in a very normal tone.
-Donna, can I see you before you leave?
Two minutes later, She comes to his office.
- I'm going home. Do you need something?
- Yes. I want to apologize about my behavior earlier this morning. I deeply regret things didn't work out right for you and that guy.
- His name is Rick. And you don't regret it, Josh. You're saying that just to make yourself feel better. But I accept your apology.
- Okay...anyway. He wasn't "the one" for you.
- You don't know him, Josh. How can you judge if he is or not 'the one' for me?
- Well...If he were the right one, you'd probably date him again.
- Fair point.
- You're a great woman, Donna. You deserve someone better than those idiots you date.
- That's enough, Josh. I'm leaving. See you tomorrow.
- Okay. Bye.